Friday, September 19, 2014

Hold

   I feel so grateful to be able to hold babies. I adore gathering them into my arms and giving them refuge and nurturing. I often mourn a bit that I cannot hold my own babies. They are all grown and have children and partners of their own. Luckily they have decided to let me be a grandmother.


There is nothing like making eye contact with a beautiful child and seeing recognition and delight in their eyes. We are wired for love and connection. I believe that with all my heart. In the sacred place of our soul we want to be loved and valued. I am honored to be able to give openly to these children, some whose DNA I share and some who were given to me by parents who came into our family. I worry sometimes that I will lose these delicate ties. I have only one recourse and that is to be grateful for every moment and circumstance that brings them into my presence.


I write on Fridays with a large group who inspire me. Only five minutes and without much thought to perfection. I write, prompted by one word that sends my thoughts to the keyboard and hopefully makes sense.

3 comments:

  1. Aw. I miss being able to hold my little girl like that. She just started 3rd Grade, and I've got a LONG wait before I become a grandpa. But every so often, I get the privilege and joy of holding a baby. Last March, when I was at a Writers Conference, a friend of mine who's a foster mom let me hold her little guy. It was the highlight of the weekend! Enjoy every moment of being a grandma, and blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dog and the grandmother and the baby. I imagine heaven will be filled with sweet scenes just like this one. You are a blessing to the ones you hold. Their little spirits will forever remember your arms and and your heart and your love for them. Visiting from FMF and enjoying your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolute sweetness. Pure contentment and happiness is evident in all your faces. Enjoy that beautiful babe!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?