Friday, October 10, 2014

Care

   I've been reflecting on the care of the elderly. When the light of our lives gets dimmer it seems that the intensity changes from casting our light wide to casting our light on those who care. It takes caring to be blessed with an older person's vision and view.


  





 I played at the funeral of a bubbly, young at heart sister with whom I have visited in the past 20 years. She was 92 and lovely in so many ways. I will remember her loving touch at our greeting, her questions about my family, which always came first, and her unfailing gratitude for her husband Jens. Her name was Midge.
  I loved the view from her living room window. It looked over the harbor and the trees were resplendent with color in the Fall. Friends would often bring her plants and bird feeders to hang just outside that view. We knew she spent many hours looking and thinking. I want to be more caring of the ones in the fall time of their life. Winter always comes.

I write on Fridays with a large group who inspire me. Only five minutes and without much thought to perfection. I write, prompted by one word that sends my thoughts to the keyboard and hopefully make
sense.

4 comments:

  1. We are FMF neighbors today!

    I agree. Older people have so much wisdom to share. I know someone who's bitter, and that's really sad. Others are just filled with so much love and joy that it overflows. Our Sunday school class is taught by an older man who's more than willing to share his stories, his wisdom, his love. Such a blessing to be in his class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As my parents are aging I am learning to care more about the little things like the common sense knowledge they seem to have. I listen closer to the remember when stories they have to tell over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful thing when we have the pleasure to spend time with an older person. They have so many wonderful gifts to share from stories, to comfort etc.. It's taking the time to slow down, listen, and spend time with people. Making a connection, both parties feeling heard & valued. Bless you for recognizing that and what wonderful memories I am sure you have collected over the years with Midge. Very nice story Gabriel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your post. It affected me deeply. For some reason it reminded me of a film I fell in love with recently, 'The Letter Writer' (http://www.amazon.com/The-Letter-Writer-Aley-Underwood/dp/B00BDD5058).

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?