Friday, April 7, 2023

Good Friday

The Last Week In the Life of Jesus Christ

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."



Have you wondered why Christians call this day Good Friday? What is good about this day in the life of the Savior?

Jesus uttered seven statements from the cross upon which he was crucified..
  1. "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."
  2. To the man on the cross next to him he said, "Verily I say unto thee, to day shalt thou be with me in paradise."
  3. Looking down from the cross he said to his mother, "Woman, behold thy son!' Then he said to John, "Behold thy mother."
  4. In the ninth hour Jesus cried, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
  5. Then he said, "I thirst." President Russel M. Nelson said, "To a doctor of medicine, this is a very meaningful expression. Doctors know that when a patient goes into shock because of blood loss, invariably that patient – if still conscious – with parched and shriveled lips – cries for water.” 
  6. After receiving vinegar for his thirst he said, "It is finished."
  7. Darkness was over all the earth and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst. He then cried with a loud voice, "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit."

        How can we say this sacrifice was good?





Is it good that he took my sins, my failings, and my misfortune onto himself? I would deny him as my Savior if I said no. It was the focus of his whole life. To bring me, with him back to my loving Heavenly Father and heavenly Mother.




I wince at seeing his suffering. Yet, I rejoice that he willingly submitted  for my sake. 




"Now there stood by the cross of Jesus, his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary, the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene."

To all the Marys who gave him so much comfort. Take heart. 
For myself I also say, take heart. 

There will be Sunday. 
And he will yet live again.

Other Days In This Last Week
Sunday
Monday-
Tuesday-
Wednesday-
Thursday-
Friday-








             

6 comments:

  1. I agree, there's something strange about focussing on the word "alive" on Good Friday but it's a good reminder that death is not the end of the story. I like the song on the video and her voice is remarkable for a 3 year old! Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Gabriele, your words made tears run down my eyes. Thank you. Beautiful, beautiful writing. Here's to Sundays. Helen xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S.Yay!!!! I managed to leave a comment!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Gabriele. Sunday's coming! Alleluia!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?