Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Rumbling With Creativity


 I am joining Kate Motaung and others who are writing every day in October. My intention is to record my reactions and feelings about Brené Brown's newest book, "Rising Strong". You can find the other posts I have written here.  

   
I wish I were as creative as Suzy Make-a-Lot. I am so amateurish in art and music.

"Like our lovability and divinity, we must care for and nurture the stories we tell ourselves about our creativity and ability."

My reckoning over creativity came when I first posted a journal picture in the online class "Gifts Of Imperfection" that Brené taught on Oprah's OWN Network. Among all the pictures she posted during a streaming video I caught a glimpse of mine. I simple picture of a flying bird and another bird on a branch. My words were "Hope gives flight to power." I could no longer deny that doing art was satisfying. 


The rumble with my creativity has been going on for two years. What started as art journaling moved to doing Mixed Media. It was there that I created a piece which made a huge impact. The words, "I am worthy of love and belonging" resonated to every fiber of my being. I believed that I was a child of God but I did not always believe I was worthy of love and that I was worthy of belonging to my Heavenly Father's family. Words and images created by my own hands opened a portal of understanding. 


  On the delta between the story of "who do you think you are calling yourself an artist, and the reality that I now owned watercolor, paints, gel mediums, brushes, stencils, I found some key learnings.
  • I am much happier when I do some art everyday.
  • Creativity is a God given gift.
  • Writing, painting, knitting, playing music can bring peace into my life.
  • I am an artist
So I have had a revolution. I can say, in this one thing, I see the process from coming to a reckoning point where there was no going back, rumbling with the vulnerability of doing something that I seemed inadequate at, and revolving to a new way of doing life. Feeling like I reached out to a little piece of wholeheartedness makes me go on with other issues. 

"Creating is the act of paying attention to our experiences and connecting the dots so we can learn more about ourselves and the world around us."

Tomorrow I want to write about how creativity helps us integrate. 

10 comments:

  1. This is a great example which really brings the theories in the book to life, and I love that you have discovered that doing art brings you peace and helps you connect with God's truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt I could describe the process in "Rising Strong" in this one area of my life. Thanks, Carly.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous. Just fabulous. I have to create every day, also, otherwise I literally go bonkers. My daughter has inherited my habit. (I cannot imagine how you must have felt when you saw your piece!!!)....have loved every single one of your posts, Gabriele, and have learnt so much: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. Forgot to say that I love your 'I am worthy' piece. Love it when we create things that embody, for us, a significant shift (some people get tattoos, others create!!)...do you know Christy Tomlinson's mixed media work (she has a few videos on YT...)...have always liked her approach...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know Christy Tomlinson's work and enjoy her perspective on art and life. Helen, you make me smile.

      Delete
  4. PPS. Have just realized, with horror, that I didn't send you the email....will do so shortly....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You inspire me. I too have heard the rumblings and are dancing around the edges. I am just now calling myself a writer, but the arts have always been a part of who I am. I want the courage to call myself an artist. Thanks for posting today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an artist. How could you guide us through the daily journaling ideas if you didn't have that kind of heart. Thank-you, Shari.

      Delete
  6. Gabriele, we must have been in the same Gifts of Imperfection class! I've been doing various kinds of "art" for years, yet continue to struggle identifying as an artist. I was working on a blog piece this week about the thief of comparison as that's the demon I fight too often. You are an artist, a creative, with words and images and your brave self. Love seeing your art. To add to what Helen said above, I love Christy Tomlinson's stuff and have done one of her classes too. I'm hoping to participate in the Rising Strong group next year. Your series on this book encourages me even more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be in the Rising Strong Class with you. I love hearing from you, Debby.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?