Monday, April 25, 2016

Mindful Monday- Great Expectations

 
 Self-compassion
The expectations kill me. 


                           


    Yesterday we attended our grandson's baptism. As I arrived I noticed gifts on a table and on people's chairs. Gasp! Was I expected to provide another gift? I felt the pressure and immediately afterward the resistance. My boy had already been gifted and even though I knew it, I felt that I should look like a generous grandmother. What are the rules of proper grandmothering? Am I doing a good enough job? If there were rules would I still feel resistance to keeping all THE RULES?
    My mother sent her grandchildren a card and money year after year. Then one year she forgot my daughter. She was getting older and well, it slipped her mind. I feel badly that we remember her slip up more than we remember the years of sweet cards signed in her broken English.
   I choose to be kind to myself and believe that I am doing the best that I can. I gifted a perfect present to my grandson and we had time together to enjoy it. Giving another one at his event would not provide a nurturing experience; it would only satisfy my need to have other's approval.
   The key learnings from this month of self-compassion are:

  1. I make mistakes. I disappoint. 
  2. I am a generous person and try to meet the needs I see around me.
  3. I would like to believe that people are doing the best they can with what they have.
  4. If I believe others are doing the best they can then I can except that I am doing the best that I can with what I have.
               If you want to learn more about self-compassion Kristen Neff has a wonderful website.


April was a month to explore self-compassion. You can read more about my Year of Mindfulness here.
   

3 comments:

  1. Such a powerful reflection, Gabriele.

    So much of what people do can be led by that sense that we need approval but, as you point out, when we work from a place of mindfulness, we can break that cycle.

    I was very touched by your comment about remembering the one time your mother forgot: isn't that such a shame? I'm very conscious, as a mother, of trying not to get in to the habit of living in a way that my children don't start to take me for granted. I think of it as another gift for them, to teach them to always be actively grateful for every relationship.

    Am learning so much from you, Gabriele. Thanks so much.

    Have a great day: it's raining here, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that it is raining. It sounds like you need it. Thank-you for commenting. You have provided much of the information for me to build a foundation of mindfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so easy to put ourselves under pressure to meet others' expectations, or what we assume are their expectations. I think it's important to recognise, as you did, when we would be doing something just to gain other people's approval, and to learn to be kind to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?