Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Mindful Monday- Grateful For Divine Compensation

"You are the God who sees me",  for she said, "I have now seen the One who sees me."
      Genesis 16:13

    Hagar in the Old Testament had many issues. She was a less favored wife, and by her own choosing she made trouble with Abraham's  covenant wife because of her resentments. When she ran away an angel came to her. Without knowing anything about the angel's message, the fact is, she received divine assistance. The angel admonished her to go back to Abraham and Sarah and gave her compensation by promising her a great future for her son. Later, she must leave, by command of Abraham, and she is sustained again by the same angel. God opens up her eyes and she sees a well of water from which to drink. Her eyes were opened literally but also metaphorically. She is made conscious of the compensation given her by a loving God. Mortality comes with unfair and unwanted situations, I am so grateful for the gift of compensation.



    About fifteen years ago I was suffering from disappointment. My thoughts labored on the situation beyond my control. I was called to teach Institute to young adults in my church. The new challenge took my mind away from my ruminations. Over time I saw divine compensation open to me as I learned to work with the Holy Ghost and applied myself to learning. What had wrenched my heart, now seemed less important. 
    Learning to shepherd my thoughts has come as compensation for dealing with physical limitations. I am consciously aware that my inner world is still undeveloped. There is peace there, and hope, and faith. This month of November I am more mindful of gratitude and divine compensation is something for which I feel so thankful.







November is a month for paying attention to my level of gratitude. It is part of my year long exploration of mindfulness. You can read more about my Year of Mindfulness here.

1 comment:

  1. Shepherding your thoughts sounds like an awesome thing to do. Mine run away with me so much...

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?