Monday, September 25, 2017

Nurturing Monday- Inviting My Students to Develop Grit

What is grit? 
How do I invite my students to get some?

In a previous post I wrote about nurturing my piano students with compassion as they started school again. But, now I am singing the opposite tune. Am I sending a conflicting message?


 

     Human nature looks for the path of least resistance and when it comes to learning to play the piano there is plenty of resistance. I find myself resisting the truth that playing slowly, without mistakes, leads to solid learning. I resist the truth that learning is not incremental. One day all the stars align and I sound awesome. The next day, I can't remember the notes. Yikes! Do I really have to practice everyday? 




Nurturing grit is just as compassionate as consolation for a rough row to hoe. They are not mutually exclusive. I expect them both of myself.





To go to the overview of My Year of Nurturing click 

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Are you familiar with Angela Duckworth's book Grit? I noticed she also had a Ted talk. I've not had a chance to read her book yet.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?