Friday, April 27, 2018

Stuck

The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less. 
Arthur Miller 

I think we give Eve a bad rap. She gave in to temptation to break a law of God but, she was stuck. There was another law to multiply and replenish the earth. Which law was she to obey? There were no babies in Eden, no staying up listening to their crying, no agonizing over a teenager who doesn't come home. It was an ideal environment but she was stuck.



    Progression is the real prize. Not even arriving is as satisfying as progression. As a writer I often get stuck in a paralyzing moment when nothing sounds right. Sometimes I walk away but other times I wait and then keep writing, erasing, writing, until the words sort themselves into intelligible sentences that push my project farther. What a lark!


**************************************************

My novel Rubato

A riveting murder mystery about a morally compromised woman’s resolve to protect her musical discovery. 



5 comments:

  1. Provocative Miller quote. So true about writing and erasing and writing until you get it. I'm going to peek at your book! Thank you for sharing your words. Next to you on our Five-Minute Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely relate to getting stuck in writing. Sometimes taking a break is good but other times we need to push through and keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an intriguing slant on "stuck"! I can truly relate to the writing angst of getting stuck and finding ways to move on again. And I love the Arthur Miller quote too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading the book Originals by Adam Grant, and he talks about the power of putting a project away for a period of time, and then coming back to it to look at it with fresh eyes. I don't think I realized how important the revision stage in writing was until I started my blog. It's actually my favorite part. I write from the heart allowing the words to flow, but when I return to it again it always ends up to be so much better than the first attempt. I loved how you embraced the word writer as you wrote about your experience.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?