Monday, April 23, 2018

What If I Get Off Track Again?

               What If I Get Off Track Again?




    Many weeks ago I wrote a post about my meditation practice. I marveled that after ninety-seven days in a row I suddenly forgot to do meditation one morning. I did feel deflated and my readers reminded me that ninety-seven days was amazing. What happens to our attitude when we stop and start habits? 


  Maybe you are an all or nothing person. You establish a really good habit and prepare yourself to add it to your daily life. Then, the phone rings and someone needs help immediately, or you get sick, or a friend calls to whisk you away on an exciting adventure. There goes your habit. Do you quit? Is meditating for ninety-seven days in a row and missing the next day a disaster? No, you say. Get real! Things happen. 



   But, the truth is I use getting off track as an excuse to quit my new habit. Yes, I do. Here's what I say to myself. It's not practical. Or, I'm not good at this so why do it? Or, it's the wrong time in my life. 
   In my humble experience, the answer to the question, what if I get off track, is GET BACK ON! If coming back to a habit, or project, or goal is good for you and makes life better than just start again with a clean slate. Brush yourself off and get back onto the saddle. Happy Trails and lets circle round and start again.

*********************************************************



My novel Rubato





1 comment:

  1. I've allowed my all or nothing personality to get in the way before. I've become much more aware of this in what I do now. Gretchen Rubin writes about the strategy of not breaking the chain in order to keep yourself motivated to accomplish a goal. Of course, real life can get in the way and break the chain before you know it. Like you said just pick up where you left off and keep on going.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?