Friday, August 12, 2011

Fisher Pond

  I can not believe I have lived in this town for twenty years and not ever visited Fisher Pond. I have seen a little of it driving by on Bank Road and I have heard stories of ice-skating there, but I was never induced to stop and check it out. Now I have been there twice this week.

 
The first visit was with all five Grands on my husband's last vacation day. We found the trail entrance which Bianca described in her book. I was impressed with the evenness and width of the trail. That makes a difference when you are walking with a toddler.This was our fourth family walk in two weeks so the kids were primed and excited to explore.
    Miss M. was immediately enthralled with all the sweet pea flowers she saw. She wanted to gather a few to take home to her mother.

 
Huckleberries were plentiful and Papa gathered them by the handful and passed them out. There were a few places where we had to stop to do some imaginative play. Unbeknowst to me I had along a few pirates.
 
Nothing prepared me for the beauty of the pond when we came to the overlook. At first it looked just like an open meadow, but as we looked closer we saw water and then realized the plants were on the water shifting and waving in the sunlight.

   
The mood became quiet as we sat by the water with the sun warming our faces. Nature has a way of claiming the stage when it puts on such a gorgeous play of colors and textures.

 
The only thing that pushed us back on the trail was a very industrious toddler who was ready to set off again.




I went back again with my good friend, who has lived here even longer than I.


   I knew I had to share this with her and others who need to appreciate this beautiful resource gifted to our town and maintained by the Land Trust.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?