Friday, February 15, 2019

Confident

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises

My learning to knit is my favorite metaphor about learning to have confidence in life. I started knitting with a few skills.

 I loved color. I purchased yarn before for crochet projects. I already enjoyed working with my hands.

I started knitting with a few negative issues.

I freak out when I feel I can't fix something gone wrong. I get confused by written instructions. I want to make something challenging before I have basic skills.


My worst nightmare is dropped stitches. It has taken many months to believe I can pick up a dropped stitch, even one that is deep into the garment.

But, I can. 


I love the look of little cables on a garment. It means holding back a few stitches on a separate small tool. It feels awkward and the small gestures to work with that tool are new and cumbersome. 

But, I can make cables.



I am an improviser. I have a hard time following patterns. My mind seems to be searching for an easier way. I often feel smarter than the designer. 

Not true. I see the necessity of a pattern.



I fear that I won't want to wear what I make. That I will be embarrassed after working on a garment for months and decide to set it aside.

Maybe, but so far the knits I have made are precious and hold within them months of concentration and love by their creator. 


To gain confidence before the Lord I can use my knitting to show me the way.

⍅Don't fear dropping stitches. He can show me how to pick them up.

⍅I can do hard things with his help.

⍅Follow his pattern. He knows the way.

⍅He loves me because he has sacrificed for me and wears the scars to remind me.




2 comments:

  1. Your knitting projects look great, and the lessons are spot on as well! I love how God can use all kinds of things to teach us and remind us of truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the past few years I've truly enjoyed your posts... such awesome messages along with your beautiful photographs. I thoroughly enjoy learning about your youth and coming to America. Though I am a few years older than you, we grew up in the same neighborhood, going to Sumner, Lincoln and South; belonged to the same Liberty Stake. It was the hub of many immigrants, not only from Germany, but Holland, Sweden, Norway, Japan, etc. President Hinckley and President Monson attended the same Stake. We were surrounded by great and wonderful people? Thank you, Gabriele, for sharing your life experiences and your beautiful thoughts on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Sincerely, DeLores.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?