Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Surrender To Sleep

    Many of us have sleep issues and wish we could just fall asleep easily at night. Drifting into unconsciousness is a huge surrender.



The evening hangs beneath the moon                                                 
A silver thread on darkened dune
With closing eyes and resting head
I know that sleep is coming soon

Upon my pillow, safe in bed
A thousand pictures fill my head
I cannot sleep my minds a flight
And yet my limbs seem made of lead

If there are noises in the night
A frighting shadow, flickering light
Then I surrender unto sleep

Where clouds of dreams give second sight



By Charles Anthony Silvestri


            One of the greatest joys of being a mother was to lay down beside my babies and watch them surrender to sleep. My babies would look at me as if I had betrayed them. How could I insist that they stop their explorations and just float into stillness. I would sing, soothing songs to convince them that all was right and that I would be joining them on this little venture. Some days I did.
    Now, through a tender mercy, I have beloved babies again. They are not mine but sort of mine. Little gifts given without merit, but with immense gratitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?