Sunday, November 6, 2011

Book of Mormon Sunday II- Nephi 1-7

This week I started reading from the beginning again. My focus will be the strengthening power of the atonement. I will read the book of Mormon to find verses which explain that power.
  Right off the bat in the first chapter, Nephi explains the visions God gave to his father, Lehi. These visions would not have been possible without the strengthening power of the atonement. 
  Nephi 1:20 "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."
   Nephi did not have to just believe his father, he was also granted spiritual insight of his own.
  1 Nephi 2: "also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father;"
   Nephi's spiritual strength is put to the test as he accepts the command to retrieve the plates. It takes spiritual power to intercede between he and his brothers.


  1 Nephi 1:29 "And it came to pass as they smote us with a rod, behold, an angel of the Lord came and stood before them, and he spake unto them, saying: Why do ye smite your younger brother with a rod? Know ye not that the Lord hath chosen him to be a ruler over you, and this because of your iniquities? Behold ye shall go up to Jerusalem again, and the Lord will deliver Laban into your hands."
   Throughout the story of obtaining the brass plated Nephi gives credit to the Lord for providing insight, direction, and strength to accomplish the mission.
  1 Nephi 4:31 "And now I, Nephi, being a man large in stature, and also having received much strength of the Lord, therefore I did seize upon the servant of Laban, and held him, that he should not flee."
   When they return with the plates Nephi's parents are overjoyed. They had begun to doubt that they would see their sons again. Sarah is strenghtened and testifies that she now knows that the Lord is behind all these endeavors.
   1 Nephi 5:8 "And she spake, saying: Now I know of a surety that the Lord hath commanded my husband to flee into the wilderness; yea, and I also know of a surety that the Lord hath protected my sons, and delivered them out of the hands of Laban, and given them power whereby they could accomplish the thing which the Lord hath commanded them. And after this manner of language did she speak."
  Truly in these opening chapters there are many testimonies that the Lord provides power and strength to us, as his children, to accomplish the things he commands.
   1 Nephi 7:12 "Yea, and how is it that ye have forgotten that the Lord is able to do all things according to his will, for the children of men, if it so be that they exercise faith in him? Wherefore, let us be faithful to him."
   Here are some sketches I made from this scripture block. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?