Tuesday, April 30, 2013

(Six) Habits To Happiness- Study

The habit to spend some time during the day reading and studying was cemented into my life ten years ago when I was called to teach Institute and then Seminary. I think of myself as a reader but really studying came by the trial of fire. There is nothing like standing in front of people who are ready to learn and knowing how little you know. It makes you become an obsessive learner. Very soon my need to study will end when I am released from my assignment, but, I intend to remain faithful to my early morning hour of study. It brings me satisfaction and happiness. I have already started a study project unrelated to Seminary. My goal is to study two General Conference talks a week and write my observations.


   Studying is to reading like wisdom is to knowledge. One is much deeper than the other. When I study I stop often to read between the lines. Questions form in my mind that cause me to listen to the Holy Ghost. What does the writer intend me to do after I read this section? What did she purposely leave out?
What applications does the message offer me? What further knowledge does the Holy Ghost offer concerning this reading block.


   A special place to record notes is ideal for me. The Red Headed Hostess made up a conference journal. All the talks are listed by title and there are small illustrations on each page to highlight aspects of each talk.

   I asked a friend to study with me and hopefully together we will find this project enriching and enlivening. Study is much easier for me now with all five children grown, If I could offer my young mother-self some advice I would tell her to keep trying. I did try to read alone and with my children but I often felt discouraged. I always needed ideas to think about and chew through. When I didn't purposefully feed myself good knowledge my mind just invented idol imaginations that caused me more grief than good. Study is an important part of my general happiness quotient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?