Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Swimming

     I blogged about taking up swimming two weeks ago. Thanks to the Knitting Queen I am still swimming twice a week. This morning was overcast and cool but the pool was warm and more so after the continuous movement.
        I learned to swim with my Dad. As immigrants to this country, we did not spend money on learning skills from others. The only lessons I took as a child were piano lessons, because my father and mother did not play. But swimming they did, both of them. Dad would go to the public pool every day after work. I went along until I started having body image problems, then I wriggled out of that activity.
  As a child we are blissfully unconcerned about how we look, what is important is how we feel in the water.
     I have some strange strokes in the water. Since I was never properly taught, I improvise and use movements that I have observed. I swim with my head above water, which makes sense to me if you want to enjoy the sky and the air around you. There are serious swimmers going alongside me. They bury their body in the water and glide just below the surface. They are smooth and sleek and move much faster than I am.
   I am thinking I might drag out the goggles and go down below the surface sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?