Saturday, August 24, 2013

Tomatillos

   I don't bottle foods. I did some long ago but I was always wearied by the hot, labor intensive work. My dislike of work as a child has made being an adult challenging. I was one of those kids that hid in the basement, went to the bathroom, whenever work was on the agenda. So there I was with a bag of tomatillos form my CSA farm. I decided to make salsa. My daughter-in-law bottles many things and her salsa is really good. I've heard her describe the process, but she hasn't talked about tomatillos.
  So first I roasted the tomatillos, garlic cloves, chilies on a baking sheet.


The green tomatillos were softer and juicer. They have a bitter bite which can be mitigated with apple-cider vinegar.


   The result was satisfying. I had some over a baked potato with a tiny dollop of sour cream. Yum!
The varied vegetables I receive from my CSA farm are adventures. What will I do with the daikon the size of a watermelon?


  Here is the recipe from Rick Bayless-


INGREDIENTS

8 ounces (3 to 4 medium) tomatillos, husked and rinsed
Fresh hot green chiles to taste (1 or 2 serranos or 1 jalapenos), stemmed
2 large garlic cloves, peeled
6 sprigs of fresh cilantro (thick bottom stems cut off), roughly chopped
1/4 small white onion, finely chopped
Salt

DIRECTIONS

Roast the tomatillos, chile(s) and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler, until blotchy black and softening (they’ll be turning from lime green to olive), about 5 minutes.  Flip them over and roast the other side.  Cool, then transfer everything to a blender, including all the delicious juice the tomatillos have exuded during roasting. Add the cilantro and 1/4 cup water, then blend to a coarse puree. Scoop into a serving dish. Rinse the onion under cold water, then shake to remove excess moisture.  Stir into the salsa and season with salt, usually 1/2 teaspoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?