Monday, August 19, 2013

Book of Mormon Summer-End of Mosiah into Alma



I have been reading about angels in a new book by Donald Parry called Angels: Agents of Light, Love and Power. He mentions this angel who visits Alma, the Younger. His name is withheld but he comes many more times to Alma, one example being when he leaves Ammonihah the first time. He was called to warn, guide, and minister. 

     Alma 27:13 "Nevertheless he cried again, saying: Alma, arise and stand forth, for why persecutest thou the church of God? For the Lord hath said: This is my church, and I will establish it; and nothing shall overthrow it, save it is the transgression of my people.   And again, the angel said: Behold, the Lord hath heard the prayers of his people, and also the prayers of his servant, Alma, who is thy father; for he has prayed with much faith concerning thee that thou mightest be brought to the knowledge of the truth; therefore, for this purpose have I come to convince thee of the power and authority of God, that the prayers of his servants might be answered according to their faith. And now behold, can ye dispute the power of God? For behold, doth not my voice shake the earth? And can ye not also behold me before you? And I am sent from God. Now I say unto thee: Go, and remember the captivity of thy fathers in the land of Helam, and in the land of Nephi; and remember how great things he has done for them; for they were in bondage, and he has delivered them. And now I say unto thee, Alma, go thy way, and seek to destroy the church no more, that their prayers may be answered, and this even if thou wilt of thyself be cast off."
I so appreciate the return of Alma. He becomes an amazing missionary and fulfills the request of the angel to remember the bondage of his forebears. His message to the cities where he preaches is one of sincere repentance.


   You can find this overview of the missionary journeys of Alma and the sons of Mosiah, here.


   In this section we meet Ammon, a son of King Mosiah, who is daring, converted, and sure of his mission to bring salvation to the Lamanites.


     Alma17:9 "And it came to pass that they journeyed many days in the wilderness, and they fasted much and prayed much that the Lord would grant unto them a portion of his Spirit to go with them, and abide with them, that they might be an instrument in the hands of God to bring, if it were possible, their brethren, the Lamanites, to the knowledge of the truth, to the knowledge of the baseness of the traditions of their fathers, which were not correct. And it came to pass that the Lord did visit them with his Spirit, and said unto them: Be comforted. And they were comforted. And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls."

                   You can find more of my thoughts on these blocks of scripture here and here.
                              My illustrations, weak as they are, can be downloaded here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?