Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Don't Eat It

  We all get criticized now and then. Some of it is warranted and some just plain stinks. You know the kind, when someone out of the blue grabs your throat and squeezes on your most vulnerable weaknesses. The worst is when they do it in front of others. Growing up I handled it by agreeing with my opponent. It saved time and anguish. Actually, it saved the anguish for a more private time, when I could bath in the shame. As the Brene Brown online class comes to a close, this one truth is going to stick with me.


   Jeremiah talked about eating the words of Jehovah. Some of them were sweet, but so many were bitter.

   "Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts."

    He could not ignore them because the source did not stink. The source loved him and was faithful to him.  Criticism may come from an adversary or even a loved one, but when it stinks, comes from mean spiritedness or ill humor, it is best to spit it out and not chew on it. It is a hard lesson to realize not every one can love you, all of the time. Reconciliation is always on the horizon and it is better served if you haven't been ruminating on stinky cheese. My apologies to all who love Limberger. It is just a metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?