Monday, August 17, 2015

I Write

   I am joining fellow writers on Kate Motaung's blog who are doing a bi-weekly online writing discussion group. We are using  On Being a Writer: 12 Simple Habits for a Writing Life that Lasts, by Ann Kroeker and Charity Singleton Craig as our syllabus. I am also reading Writing Down The Bones by Natalie Goldberg to inspire my thinking.


  Do I think I am a writer? Nah… Attaching that title to my persona is a bit daunting. Writer carries too much weight. I'm sensitive about how much weight I carry. I have critics who demand authenticity. But I do write this blog and have for three, almost four years. I write because it feels healthy. I can sort through ideas to unpack their contents. It is amazing what tidbits get lodged in the tiny pockets of my mind. Tidbits can chain together to form awesome patterns and reveal themes. Themes give meaning. When I see a theme interweaving through weeks and months I feel I'm on the right path. Really, God shows himself in my writing. I can not leave him out. I am grateful to read the past and see his influence and love in my life. I write.

"Writing is a path to meet ourselves and become intimate. It can give you confidence, can train you to wake up."
                                                                Nathalie Goldberg

3 comments:

  1. "Writing is a path to meet ourselves and become intimate. It can give you confidence, can train you to wake up." Wow. What a fantastic quote- It's one for my journal. Loved reading your reflection here. You put words to many of the things I think and feel. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing your thoughts about Chapter 2! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love what you wrote about linking thoughts together, those little tidbits of information which on their own and if not examined could be a missed clue to something that will pop the light on in our mind, a little gift if you will. So thankful for your pondering here. And i ADORE Goldberg's book as well. So much to glean there...i think its like a fine pastry, i've been savoring for a couple months now

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post. I agree, writing can help us sort through ideas and make sense of them and it can bring clarity as themes emerge. I love the Nathalie Goldberg quote too.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?