Friday, May 10, 2019

Practice

My progress on the piano and my motivation to practice increased dramatically when I caught a vision of my potential. 

Sheri L. Dew 

As a piano teacher you might guess that this word is often spoken at my house. 
It is.
I was told at age 8 that I would be serving others with my music the rest of my life. At that time that pronouncement sounded silly. I could barely play with two hands and I didn't like to practice.


            



But 57 years later I am at the piano everyday. I still have to practice when I am playing for others. The above video required going into the studio with many retakes. I was part of a team trying to share this inspirational message. 

There is peace in practice. 

The peace I am talking about has to do with enough repetition to put the learning into our body. It is never enough to know something with our mind. Knowing with our heart is certainly another step forward. But, knowing something inside our muscles and sinews, that is a deep knowing. We get that from practice. 



3 comments:

  1. Good morning Sheri, love this line "there is peace in the practice". Thank you for these words. I am going to walk and ponder peace in the practice. Visiting from FMF. In Christ, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace in the practice. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine what a joy it is to be playing the piano 57 years later!! Like many I have read today, I regret my decision to quit piano lessons and, eventually, to quit playing. I know you are so grateful for all those who refused to let you quit!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?