Friday, May 3, 2019

Opportunity

Today is our 45th Anniversary

So, I'm taking the opportunity to write about marriage. 
I was an optimistic, idealistic, naive girl when I got married. Not earth shattering news, at 21 years old we are all of those things. I wanted someone I could talk to about everything. 


What I hadn't considered fully was that although we could talk about everything we didn't necessarily see through the same lenses.


Luckily I married someone who gave much attention to how he viewed the world. He thought through his decisions carefully and then committed to those views. 


On the other hand, I vacillated more about what I thought and felt. I changed my mind frequently. He was patient with that because his North Star was always in view.


In 45 years we have communicated everyday and of course disagreed often. There are some views that I just can't understand. Those topics come up for review often. 


He has never tried to manipulate me or squash my interest in something. He supports the things I love even when he has less interest. 

  As I went through pictures this morning I realized that I haven't taken enough of us alone together. There are individual shots and so many shots with us and a child or grandchild. 

  Today I honor the two of us and our covenant to love each other because God gifted us the opportunity to be one before him and with him.




3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post and I loved seeing the photos of you and your husband through the years! Congratulations on your 45 years of marriage! I hope you enjoy celebrating together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to your marriage! I hope you had a beautiful anniversary celebrating the life you have created together. And, oh, wasn't I that same naive, idealistic girl many years ago??!:)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?