Thursday, April 16, 2020

How Covid-19 Changed My Life



“’I wish it need not have happened in my time,’ said Frodo. ‘So do I,’ said Gandalf, ‘and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.’” —J.R.R. Tolkein

Before March 11th, 2020 things were serious but the path was straight and visible. I was recovering from Breast Cancer Surgery and I had preventative treatment ahead. I was preparing my piano students to do distance learning to protect my immune system. My piano studio was full and hearty.

My husband had a steady job and life was manageable. Every week I visited with grandchildren, many who took weekly piano lessons from me.
I enjoyed my calling of music leader in my church and weekly prepared music to teach and share with them.
I diligently exercised at my local athletic club four to five days a week.
Friends came over for knit nights, I studied scriptures with a dear friend every week, and I enjoyed seeing my neighbors in town and going to lunch with them.
Then.....the news started coming.




  I hauled out the large bottle of Purel which was in storage and everyone who came into my house used hand sanitizer. My husband found some face masks in our storage and began wearing one to work. He was eyed curiously and schooled on how the CDC claimed masks didn't work. He asked that I wear one in town and while I taught piano. I was disobedient some of the time.
Then...... our governor closed the schools. It was for six weeks at first. I was really glad that I had already figured out how to teach via computer. 
Our church Prophet canceled church for a few weeks, at first. That was weird.

Then.....our governor locked down the state and asked that we all stay home. The hospitals were preparing for an overwhelming Pandemic. I visited with my Oncologist and I chose to postpone treatment. The visits were becoming increasingly alarming. No one was allowed into the building except the patients. Everyone had masks on, myself included. I told the doctor I was delaying treatment and would do immunotherapy with Chinese herbs and essential oils. 

My athletic club was closed down and I started walking on quiet streets without people. 
I stopped visiting my grandchildren and we visited via computer.
No one came over. No one went anywhere.
My husband's job laid off half the work force. His hours were cut. 
The world was struggling and we still are.

Where once my path was visible and straight it now was cloudy and everyday set out into a new direction.

We prayed to have our lives restored. We prayed to have enough toilet paper. I purchased a toilet paper charm as a momento of this time.



What hasn't changed?

The sun still comes up every morning on time. 
Spring has arrived and the birds are singing.
My house still gets dirty and the dishes are ready to wash.
Warm water greets me in the shower.

I still have a heart full of love.

And I am grateful.



5 comments:

  1. it's good you know... to see the graces we are blessed with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post--as well as the quote at the beginning. Isn't that the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last line of your lovely post inspired this sonnet. I hope you like it; please know that my wife and I are praying for you.

    Although these days are full of trials,
    and the time is fateful,
    I will not put down my smile,
    for in the end I'm grateful
    for the small things left unchanged,
    for the whisper of the grass
    as my bare feet rearrange
    its geometrics as I pass.
    I'm grateful for the sun and breeze
    and the moon that lights my way,
    I'm grateful for the bended knees
    on which I start and end my day.
    I'm grateful for warm friends like you,
    and for the Lord who'll see us through.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?