Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Presents From The Front

There were presents for everyone when the Dad came home. He brought us all scarves from Afghanistan. The Mama Daughter received a purple one, Ollie a multi-colored sparkly one, and I received a black and white one which I love.
Life on a military post is strange to me. There is a mini-USA right there on base. The commissary sells American food, you can go to a library and find all the books you might at home. There currency on base is American dollars and if you never left town you would think you were in the states.
Security is tight. After getting one 24 hour pass we decided to get a longer pass. This required finger-printing, getting a picture taken, and being interviewed about my travel plans. Everyone in this family has military ID and always carries it, even the new baby who we did the paper work for today. Long waits with impatient little troopers.
Tomorrow we take a trip to pick up my sister-in-law who will be taking the train from Frankfurt. We will see Kaiserslauten, another military town, where my brother served in the Army in the 1950's, US Army that is. I will be taking more pictures to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?