Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day, Dear Mother

My mother has been gone for almost ten years. I think of her all the time and she still teaches me by the example I remember. I would love to talk with her about grandmothering. She went through many stages of being a grandmother. The first time she was young, in her fifties like me but my children came along in her sixties and seventies.
I found this picture of The Piano Man's blessing day. My mother had sewed matching outfits for the grandchildren. She was brilliant at using every scrap of fabric.
I owe her such a debt for sticking with me during years of piano practice. I sorely pushed her with my up and down feelings about practice. She deserves the credit for any success I have as a musician.
And I think of my mother-in-law often, as well. She passed away the same year as my mother. Elizabeth Burgess was a great comfort to me.
She was a cheerleader for our family. It seemed everything we did was wonderful in her eyes. Even when we chose to homeschool a few children she showed concern, but cheered me on in my desires. I know she watches over us and is especially aware of the new great-grandbabies coming to earth. I felt her presence most strongly when Ollie was fighting for her life at 2 lbs.
Happy Mother's Day to these my mothers. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?