Monday, May 16, 2011

When the Dad is Away Fighting in a War

My eyes have been opened a little bit as I watch my Mama Daughter cope with her family alone while her husband is deployed. Having a baby alone while others watch your two other kids is really tough. Then there is coming home with the new baby and going forward with one more child who needs you all the time. My daughter is doing remarkably well.
I was also there when Dad arrived for two weeks of R&R. The anticipation of his arrival was fun to watch. The older brother, age 15, was wondering how his Dad would react to him, the little kids were expecting fun and games again, and the Mama Daughter was excited to have him home safe for just a little while.
What does a man do, who has been in the desert, with little comforts, at all times watching for the enemy who could shoot him, when he comes through the door into the arms of his family who has been praying for him every night. Everyone wants and needs his attention and he is exhausted and stressed. The man gives his time to each family member and rests in between.
I asked,"Why did you choose this career path?" The answer is simply,"Because I am suited to this sort of work. If I don't do it, who will?" The members of their church branch get it.They are tuned in to the needs of the families. They talk about the fathers who are deployed with respect. There are more children than adults there at church. At home safe and sound in America I did not get it. I understand better, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?