Monday, January 16, 2017

Nurture In The Lord- What have I Learned?

Enos 1:1 Behold, it came to pass that I, Enos, knowing my father that he was a just man--for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord--and blessed be the name of my God for it.




Enos is very grateful for a father who taught him in the nurture of the Lord. I believe it is that nurturing that brought him to pray in the wilderness. He comes to prayer in the spirit of intensity. His answer did not come right away. He wrestled with his doubts, his inadequacies, and with his level of commitment. But his father's teachings sprouted faith. Jacob, his father, was well versed in struggle. Here are some of his words.


   Jacob 3:1 But behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart. Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction. 2 O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever.

    I believe Enos wanted to feast upon the love of God. A testimony by someone you love, who invites you to feast and who feasts himself on the abiding love is stirring to the very soul. 

   So, what did I learn from my mother who taught me in the nurture of the Lord? No one can do spiritual work for you. Sometimes it feels like you approach God without backup. His nurturing is stronger than you can imagine. When others fail you He is there. He gives you strength to do hard things. The relationship with Jesus Christ and our Father in heaven goes on beyond death. 
   Next Monday I tackle the question of how I can teach others in the nurture of the Lord. And, I am not ignoring the word admonition which accompanies the word nurture in both Ephesians and The Book of Enos, but I want to unpack that word nurture fully. 




To go to the overview of My Year of Nurturing click here.

      

1 comment:

  1. "He gives you strength to do hard things." I like to think of myself as a strong person. But when I am faced with the hardest (most painful) things, I know for a fact that my strength is not sufficient and that strength which carries me through is not my own.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?