Monday, January 2, 2017

Nurturing Monday- In The Nurture Of The Lord

Ephesians 4:4
"And, ye ​​​fathers​, ​​​provoke​ not your ​​​children​ to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."







I look for quotations using my one little word in the scriptures, first. The texts are translations so I know the word originally used may have better and even different connotations than the English word. I find it interesting that Paul instructs fathers to bring up their children in the nurture of the Lord not with, or by. It makes me feel that the nurture of the Lord is a way of transmitting care and deep feeling. 

Enos 1:1 
"Behold, it came to pass that I, Enos, knowing my father that he was a just man--for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord--and blessed be the name of my God for it."

Enos was the son of Jacob, Nephew of Nephi, in the Book of Mormon. He starts his account with the information that he had a just father who taught him three important things. His language, which I guess might have been reformed Egyptian, a written language, the nurture of the Lord, and the admonition of the Lord. To be taught in the nurture of the Lord, the teacher must have some knowledge of that nurture. It would be translated by testimony, but more impacting, it would be translated by love and deep caring. This month of January I intend to get more curious about that nurture. Was I taught in the nurture of the Lord? What have I learned from that nurture? How can I teach others in that nurture?


To go to the overview of My Year of Nurturing click here.


2 comments:

  1. I like your word and I haven't thought about the phrase "in the nurture of the Lord" before. I'll be interested to read your reflections as you explore this word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, and also have never thought of that phrase in this way. I anticipate your exploration of the word "nurture" is going to be enlightening for all of us who tag along. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?