Monday, March 12, 2018

Umkehr and Fighting Resistance

"The more Resistance you experience, the more important your unmanifested art/project/enterprise is to you-and the more gratification you will feel when you finally do it."

Have you read The War Of Art by Steven Pressfield? This little book encapsulates the opposition we might feel to doing something everyday for a month. Pressfield makes a through case for all the normal and odd resistance we can encounter for getting our work done. From procrastination to embracing drama to avoid doing our work, we as mortals seem to have an undoer on our tail all the time. I think of resistance as sticky sludge. Each day I wade through this strange entity and it never gets easier. Once my everyday goal of writing has commenced, in earnest, I love it and I feel in sync with my true desires. 





What does Pressfield say about overcoming resistance? Nothing that we haven't heard before. See yourself as a professional in what you are trying to do, be patient, recognize your limitations, seek help, show up everyday, self-evaluate, don't take your failure personally, and one that it hard for me, dedicate yourself to mastering technique. I have this crazy notion that if something doesn't come easily then you might not have talent. A lie. Keep coming back with new tools. To come back, that is the key. 

UMKEHR




"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands resistance."







***************************************************

A piano teacher is found dead and a lost autograph manuscript of Franz Liszt is discovered. Who wanted that document enough to kill? 











1 comment:

  1. I love the quote. I kind of feel that's where I am right now; definitely stuck between the two. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?