Monday, September 14, 2015

Engage

My twin grandchildren give me endless observations to log into my mental journal. The other day I found my hand holding back the edge of a grate over the fireplace. H. had found the crack and continuously pulled it open. I was resolute. I glanced over at B. and found his eyes glued to his sister's actions. The twin magic is that they read each other. They know what the other one is trying to do. When H. tired of my blocking her moves she crawled away and within a minute B. was there investigating the same opening.


I want a twin artist friend. She would be calling me and asking with excitement about our creative adventure today. Our art supplies would be side by side. (Perhaps I don't yet share well). Our writing would be bounced back and forth for honest assessment. She would be kind but firm in keeping me focused and trying new things. I would gush over her brilliance but warn her about complacency. 

but….

I don't have an artist twin. I do however have cousins. You know who you are. You are the generous people who comment on my blog. Did I tell you how excellent you are at connecting with me. I appreciate your very existence. It keeps the loneliness from making me immobile. Deep appreciation to those, like Kate Motaung, and others for creating a space to share and learn.  Writing can be lonely, painting in my studio and even playing the piano can be lonely. Yet, it is the very language that can communicate and connect us together.

  "Use loneliness. It's ache creates urgency to reconnect with the world. Take that aching and use it to propel you deeper onto your need for expression-to speak. to say who you are and how you care about light and rooms and lullabies."
                        Writing Down The Bones by Natalie Goldberg

   I am joining fellow writers on Kate Motaung's blog who are doing a bi-weekly online discussion group.We are using On Being a Writer: 12 Simple Habits For A Writing Life That Lasts by Ann Kroeker and Charity Singleton Craig. I am personally reading Writing Down The Bones by Natalie Goldberg as inspiration.




7 comments:

  1. Martha, I simply loved this line of yours - "Writing can be lonely, painting in my studio and even playing the piano can be lonely. Yet, it is the very language that can communicate and connect us together." That is so true. And what a wonderful analogy using your twin grandchildren and a twin artist. Yep! I think what I've heard in a few of our posts on this subject is accountability. That's what we're longing for. A coach to keep us on point and not my excuses. That's often a lot to ask of family. It can get a bit tricky. I know many areas that what I need most, not just in writing. Thanks for your words and being part of this group. It's good to be part of this community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debby, I'm Gabriele but I get where our names are coming up all at once since we are conversing so much. I think you nailed it. We would like a few people to hold us accountable fro continuing our quest and reaching a bit higher each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Gabriele, so so much I loved about this post (imagining being your twin! (You the brilliant one!); the photo!; your beautiful, beautiful words). Also love the "Writing can be lonely, painting in my studio and even playing the piano can be lonely. Yet, it is the very language that can communicate and connect us together." lines: I've definitely been buoyed, a great deal, by finding and enjoying the *connections* during this series....now to find a way to be able to continue that on beyond 'On Being'.....[I *must* find a copy of the 'Bones' book; every quote you've included in your posts has resonated deeply with me]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll continue following you and be your writing cousin.

      Delete
  4. yes,we have lots of cousins don't we? They make the not having family much easier to exist. And especially with our writing; cousins are good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gabriele, I love your post. What a great analogy with your grandchildren (and a beautiful photo!) I agree, writing can be lonely and it is so important to connect with others who can understand and encourage us in that, but not an easy thing to find our "twin". I have loved connecting with you through this discussion.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?