Friday, November 10, 2017

Silence

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. 
Aldous Huxley



In music silence is called a rest. Rests are counted just like notes and there are symbols for rests with the same value as notes. So, silence is equal to sound in importance. 




     I forget that principle in the comings and goings of life. I fill the awkward silence in conversation with mutterings, I turn on music to cover the silence in my house, and disregard the silence I hear in prayer instead of asking, "Why aren't you answering?" I've asked it before and the answer was silence. But it was laced with love and reassurance. 
  "Be still and know that I am God."







 I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday group for more than three years and I really enjoy the talented writers who share themselves each week.   

10 comments:

  1. I love the idea that rests and pauses of silence are equally important as the music. Thank you sharing this. I too struggle with silence. But I love how you captured its necessity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Christina. Struggling with silence is becoming a little bit easier.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful. I loved the musical references that you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, equating rest with sound... just as important, to easily forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost wrote on that but that thought took me to a college memory and I wrote my 5 minutes about that instead. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the link you make with music. So true- the silence is just as important as the sound!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?