Friday, July 13, 2018

Done


There's the joy of starting and the satisfaction of being done.

For most of my life I have been a self starter. I thrive on dreaming up projects. When I turned fifty-ish I turned a corner and looked more to the idea of getting things done. 




I still love starting new things but I've adapted to the discipline of getting finished. And frankly, I am amazed that I can do that without harsh talking to myself.



Knowing I will finish has given me confidence to go back to work I liked but often abandoned. Sewing, for example, was one of those pursuits which started out full of excitement and ended with a bag of fabric undone. 



One other thing that shifted inside of me was the tolerance for slow and repetitive work. What used to drive me crazy is now more meditative labor with a meaningful outcome.

"She can be taught!"



4 comments:

  1. I admire your discipline to get things done! I'm visiting from Five Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the process rather than the "done."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the hat! And it's good to hear you can adapt to the discipline of finishing things. I'm good at it in certain things and not at all in others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first sentence! I want to print it and hang it in my office!! "There's the joy of starting and the satisfaction of being done." -BusyB (#52)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?