Monday, July 16, 2018

A Visual Of The Cycle Of Change

Our change may not be linear, but a cycle, that we can loop around and begin again.

Much is written about making change and starting good habits. I picked up on a classic theory on motivation by Prochaska and Declemente who describe change as a cycle.
This was a new theory in the late seventies and is now very much excepted.

"They thought it all starts with pre-contemplation, where we aren't even thinking about making a change, then progresses through contemplation - where we become aware of something being problematic but don't do anything differently, to preparation for a change, then finally taking action, and then maybe hardest of all trying to maintain that change. It's really hard to stick to a change in behaviour so often we relapse back into our old way of being, but we might cycle through those initial stages much quicker the next time round."





"I like the way they describe this as a cycle, which means we don’t have to beat ourselves up if we do fall off the wagon, but instead just climb back on. I also like the way they include a phase where we might not even be consciously aware of the need to change. Sometimes looking back at decisions I’ve made to change something I can think of a reason why, but it’s not always totally clear at the time."

This theory supports my One Little Word this year. Umkekr means to cycle around and do it better.



"She went back to all that was comfortable and familiar while keeping her gaze looking ahead- to all that would be and could."



Colleen Attara

Click here to see a table of contents of how this word has become a focus in my life this year.



 

2 comments:

  1. I like this. Thanks for sharing. I'm needing to get back on the Weight Watcher bandwagon as I've slipped off this summer. My first inclination is to beat myself up, but instead I'm going to move on to the next stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for seeing value in this idea.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?