Friday, April 30, 2021

I Am Finished

 The Last Round of Western Medicine Treatment For Breast Cancer is Complete




Today is my last infusion of Herceptin, a target drug which blasts the Her-2 protein in my breast cancer cells. That protein receptor makes this kind of breast cancer very deadly. I have taken it for a year, every three weeks. Approved by the FDA more than twenty years ago it has given women with my diagnosis a fighting chance at a cure. I feel very grateful to Dr. Dennis Salmon and his fellow researchers who believed that an antibody could be created to attack Her-2Neu protein. Many women before me entered trials to test the drug through various stages. To them I am grateful and mourn those who could not participate and get the opportunity I have given. Activists who believed in this drug made lots of noise in front of drug companies and it's investors to bring this to the marketplace. I am a recipient of a legacy of hope.

Today I feel cancer free. Is it so? 


    No one can wave a wand over me and declare there is not one breast cancer cell in my body. So there is one more treatment I must take for the rest of my life. The scientific data is clear. A plant based diet combined with exercise everyday provides a 60% chance of not having a return of this cancer, I will persist in doing due diligence. I know the results of this treatment, which is entirely in my hands, will provide the best outcome for my future.


“Breast cancer is a pandemic concern, and the numbers sure prove it. In the United States alone, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer at some point in their lives.” 


You can read more about my breast cancer journey here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?