Wednesday, April 7, 2021

The Promises To Covenant Israel

"So imagine my delight when I was led recently to a new insight. With the help of two Hebrew scholars, I learned that one of the Hebraic meanings of the word Israel is “let God prevail.” Thus the very name of Israel refers to a person who is willing to let God prevail in his or her life. That concept stirs my soul!"

President Russel M. Nelson, Oct. 2020 General Conference


With that phrase I started a six month study of the promises to covenant Israel. What did I learn?

First of all I realized that my understanding of the Abrahamic  covenant was very superficial. I was satisfied with talking about the four key promises that I had remembered from my gospel learning. If Israel would let Jehovah be their God, He would bless them with posterity, property, priesthood, and purpose.

Oh my, this study helped me see that I had limited God so much by defining his promises into a formula.





                             "And what is the Lord willing to do for Israel? 


As you study your scriptures during the next six months, I encourage you to make a list of all that the Lord has promised He will do for covenant Israel. I think you will be astounded! Ponder these promises. Talk about them with your family and friends. Then live and watch for these promises to be fulfilled in your own life." 

President Russel M. Nelson


The illuminated manuscript above made by Eva Timothy is an illustration some of  the promises made to Israel. The promises are powerful, strengthening, encompassing, intimate, and gut- wrenchingly beautiful




       A God who Provides, Promises, and Prevails



Throughout all the standard works he assures, gives evidence, and invites us to act with faith on these promises.



                                      "I have heard thy prayer."

 

My prayer throughout the last six months has been to understand better, to hear more, to see more.


Before I start another six month study, this time on increasing faith, I wanted to record how much more I see God's love. I have gathered in all his love language and wish to speak it more fluently.


"Let God Prevail In Your Life."



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?