Thursday, February 3, 2011

Maisie Dobbs

When it comes to my reading pursuits this last year my favorite character has to be Maisie Dobbs.
       She is a creation of Jacqueline Winspear, an English writer now living in California. With a fascination with the early 1900's she writes about World War I in England; that time when the aristocracy was forced to see their servants become autonomous. Maisie is a poor girl sent to serve in the big manor house. Being precocious she gets up at 4am to sneak into the library to read and educate herself. She is discovered by the Lady of the house who is interested in her and sees more for her future. Maurice, a psychologist, detective, and intuitive, becomes her tutor. With skills that make her an amazing detective she goes out into the world and makes a way for herself.
Volume Eight is coming out in March and I have already preordered it at my local independent bookseller. I so look forward to that read.
Here is my Maisie Dobbs stash. Wait....I am missing one. The Unpardonable Lies is visiting my friend Kim who left a message last night telling me to call about class today. She was up to her eyeballs in "the book". I am telling you, you will like them! Curl up and read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?