Monday, February 7, 2011

Our Knitting Queen

Many years ago our knitting queen wanted to learn to knit. I couldn't help her because I crochet so we took her to our German neighbor. That lesson planted a seed but as seeds go, they need to grow. The stitches became more even, the projects bigger, and finally the results were lovely and useful.
I never see the queen without her knitting bag. She drools over yarns, coming over with every color imaginable and every weight possible. Last year on vacation together we spent a memorable day in a yarn shop. The owner was delightful and her back room was inhabited with happy knitters, male and female.
The yarns now days are so wonderful to the touch. The dyes rich with deep colors to provide joy to the eyes.
 I understand the temptations the queen must endure seeing fat, cozy braids of wool by the basketful.
The most recent creation was fingerless gloves for her good friend, who wanted them extra long to keep his arms warm during bike rides to work.
My personal favorite is the purple scarf I received from the queen for my birthday last year.


The work is exquisite.


 Hey, baby, it's cold outside. Maybe you can find your own queen to knit up a pearl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?