Friday, August 23, 2013

Book of Mormon Summer- Illustrating Alma

When I am drawing pictures of these Book of Mormon scenes I am often disappointed by my lack of skill but never with the scriptural message I want to portray. I knew I wanted to show the part where the queen is awakened by Abish, the young Lamanite serving girl who believed her father's vision. What became really important to me as I read was her cry to Jesus. As the queen became conscious she revealed her new knowledge of Jesus Christ

   I love the analogy of burying the physical weapons of war with the need we have to bury our spiritual weapons. The wars we wage amongst each other may not take our life but it does take the life out of our relationships.


  In Alma 29 the words, "Oh that I were an angel!" came to mean something more as I pondered the angel who was part of Alma's life. That angel did come with the intent of testifying to Alma and bringing him to repentance. He came back at least once again when discouraged Alma left Ammonihah. Then he came to buoy up his spirit and minister to him. That Alma would like to perform these services to others is no surprise.


                                If the subject of angels interests you, may I recommend this book.


    Donald Parry who has spoken about angels at BYU Education Week, has painstakingly researched what we can learn from the scriptures and from statements of modern prophets about angels and their missions. Chapters in this book focus on such topics as what angels are, what powers and abilities they are given, how they communicate with mortals (including their interaction with little children), what missions and roles they are assigned, how they restore priesthood and keys, how they reveal truth and teach the doctrines of the gospel, and what their roles will be in the Second Coming and during the Judgment. 
    If you would like to download my illustrations in a 4X6 format please look at the bottom of this page.
  I have more to say about this block of scripture here and here.

*********************************************************************************

And, I thank-you for reading some of my mystery novel, Rubato. Judith, a piano teacher extraordinaire,  makes a decision which, upon reflection, changes the lives of others, not for the better.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?