Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Super Saturday Summation

The Stake Relief Society event,which I wrote about was really terrific. 
The diversity in our stake is remarkable and I took time to look at faces I did not know. The classes which were offered covered the topics of health, fitness, cooking, relationships, gardening, and finding activities around town. Evryone seemed pleased to learn and participate.
My yoga class blew me away. I imagined a small class, circling around with the yoga mats I brought.
 In reality there were close to 50 sisters willing to hear and learn about yoga. Our class was held on a carpeted rectangle behind accordion doors and adjacent to the gym. I had envisioned doing sun salutations with chairs but there were no solid walls so I had everyonr partner up and one person held the chair in place while the other learned a simple flow series. I was humbled by the eagerness in the women's faces. There were elderly to young women and each seemed to desire to work with their body. 
This experience has taught me how little I do know. I realize that a good teacher learns anatomy, breathing, meditation, as well as asanas, and if I were to become a teacher I would have a great responsibility to be careful and respectful of everyone's abilities.
The best part of my class was the guided breathing. As we finished coming back to our breath and into relaxation, I opened my eyes to see peaceful, smiling faces and thought how wonderful it is to be connected to our bodies. It is sacred space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?