Wednesday, December 26, 2012

December Projects


    I had three projects this month of December. Three creative pursuits that would include, organizing materials in which I had an interest, deciding on a new creation using these materials, and doing them at least three or more times a week to reach for new mastery.
      Project One: Bread Making


   I am improving on a recipe for Artisan Bread. This month I made two loaves every time I baked. One for us and one to share. The recipient of my gift would be whoever was nearby while the bread was still warm. The loaves were plain white, rye with white flour, with garlic, with cranberries and walnuts, with rosemary, and with chocolate and coconut. This was by far the best gifting I did. I will always remember Jenny clutching the warm loaf to her chest and insisting that she might not be able to share. Twelve loaves to give away in twenty-four days was very satisfying.


     Project Two: Images to accompany the twenty-five New Testament Mastery Scriptures. 
 This was an Internet countdown towards Christmas day. I challenged myself to take original pictures for each day and I only cheated twice; once when I photoshopped a painting and one when I used a marvelous image which fit the scripture too well to resist. The editing process was most engaging as I learned to merge two pictures into one, to make collages with many images, and to leave just the right text on each image to leave a clue to scripture. I feel I know the scripture message ever so much better now.
     Project Three:
  Watch an amaryllis grow from bulb to spectacular flower. True, this project required little effort on my part, but the anticipation was just as great. I did not know what the flowers would look like and each day the growth was noticeable. Perhaps my amaryllis was a metaphor for my other pursuits. 


   I have asked myself why I do these kind of projects and the answer lies in a deep need to create. There is a strong pull within me to make something new from materials I have around me. I have many more ideas in my head than ever come to fruition and I celebrate the ones that make it through the whole process. The process is always daunting and mid-way I have to fight through the urge to give up. Resistance is my constant companion. The "they" in the gallery always vocalize negative comments. "They won't like it." "This is stupid." "Others can do it much better." No matter how old I get the process does not change but what has changed is the bravado to just keep going. I am getter bolder with age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?