Friday, December 21, 2012

Scarcity- Daring Greatly #2

     There is a shop in my town called Frame of Mind. To frame a mind means deciding how to see daily life. Will I see that I have enough or will I yearn for something I don't have.. To frame my mind to see "enough", I think I need to be wholeheartedly showing up, at home, at work, and at church. 




  Daring Greatly has taught me this truth. The opposite of scarcity is not abundance, it is being and having "enough" to give my heart, wholly, to those I love and to what I do. The culture I live in right now makes me feel like I don't have enough time, money, or energy to be who I want to be. I believe that to be another deception. Buying into scarcity makes me hold back, waiting to see if the future will bring me what I need. It makes me shy to step forward and be on board. Unfortunately, waiting may strip me of what I already have. That is the message of the parable of the talents. (Matthew 25:20-30) The traveler gives his servants talents and leaves for a undisclosed amount of time. The one to whom he gives 5 talents goes out and increases his amount two-fold, as does the one to whom he gives 3 talents. But the one who receives only one talent feels his master will take away what he has given. He feels scarcity of goods. He feels anxiety and fear before his master and chooses to hide that which he is given. At the time of accounting the two who increased their gifts are praised but the third who proudly presents the master with the original talent is condemned. It seems harsh but by hiding his talent he judges his master in a negative light. So, the question I ask myself is; when I refuse to give my heart wholly do I indicate that my God cannot be trusted to supply my needs? Is it a control issue to clutch what little I may think I have to my breast and refuse to feel open joy?
   Looking through the window at the frame shop I tried to photograph the pretty things in the window. But, what I saw in my photograph was me. I may actually be "enough" to show up in my life and be wholeheartedly present. 


                                More about the book by Brene Brown. Daring Greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?