Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Revisiting My Six Habits Of Happiness

       After many weeks of pondering what makes me happy I  decided that there are six habits that add to my happiness.

  1. Prayer
  2. Gospel Study
  3. Movement
  4. Nourishing Eating
  5. Creative pursuits
  6. Service
  I have written about these habits each individually and collectively so I just wanted to report on their relevance in my life just lately. I have learned that it is hard to do these things a certain amount everyday. Lately I've spent many days in service to my family. When my time is tight I sometimes abandon nourishing eating or gospel study. Other times my creative pursuits are so compelling that I hide away in my studio. It seems that the glue that holds all six habits together is prayer.


Gretchen Rubin who wrote Happier At Home is currently writing a book about habits. I found her loopholes applicable in my life.

Loopholes to allow us to halt or break a desired habit.

1- False Choice- I can't do this because I'm busy doing….
2-Moral Licensing- I'm allowed because I've been good
3-Tomorrow it will be better
4-Lack of control over the situation- I couldn't do it because....
5-Apparently irrelevant decision - I was on my way to the gym when I remembered….
6-This doesn't count- I'm on vacation or I'm sick today
7-Questionable assumption-I have an appointment in two hours so it doesn't seem like I have time for….
8-Concern for others- this will bother so and so
9. Fake Self-Acculization -you only live once, go ahead and splurge
10. The One Coin Loophole- missing one day of study won't make a difference.

  I'm currently working on my movement habit. I figured out that since the gym is on the way home from taking my husband to work the best time to work out is then. I like problem solving like this. Why am I skipping the activities that make me happy? How can I make it happen daily? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?