Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Christmas Past Story

        It was Christmas 1980 and it is remembered by journal entries from Marta who hosted Christmas Eve celebrations at her home in Salt Lake City, Utah. She had been a widow for three years and this celebration was important to her, important enough to write an entry in her diary before the day and after the day.

Marta is marveling at her big family


Friday the 19th of Dezember
Götz and Sigrid picked me up for a doctor's appointment. I feel a lot better now. I bought some stamps in their post office in Rosepark. Yesterday I decorated the Christmas tree and cleaned up a little bit. And my backerie is done, too. I bought some fruit in Smit's store. So most everything is in the house.

Ingo with son Jason and James in the foreground.

Now I would like to know when Ingo and his family will come. We have for a week long just fog and smog outside, just terrible.

So today is the 28 of Dezember. Christmas is over. 


Goetz and Sigrid with Peter's girls



All of my four children, with spouses, were here on Christmas Eve, and nine grandchildren and Hännchen. The dinner on the table was nice. The children were in the basement for a while and then we started the program. 

Karin singing with Kathy playing

Andrew with Gaby 6 months pregnant 

Ingo and Karin sang that nice Lullaby song and then Ingo sang "Oh Holy Night". Gaby and Kathy gave that Lullaby song again. And then we all sang together Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht. Then was the opening of the presents.

Ingo and Jason with Tante Hunni looking on


We have still read the Christmas Story in Luke in English and German. Mark and Peter did it. The children could not wait anymore.

Oma made dresses and shirts


The girls had a lot of fun in their new dresses I made. I think they like when they look all alike.

Last minute adjustment on Oma's
 work.

The first that went home was Peter's family.

Cousins Maria and Jason 


Then Götz and Sigrid. Ingo and his family went to Idaho before midnight with all their stuff and cat.

Cousins Joanne and Genevieve


Gaby and family stayed the night before going back to Provo on Christmas.
So all in all it was a nice Christmas time.

James in Oma's pajamas




I am the same age now as my mother was then. I can't help but admire her. She sewed, baked, decorated, cleaned and cooked. She was the heart of our Christmas. Remembering past Christmas stories is part of a calm Christmas.

 

Click here to return to the main Calm Christmas page.






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?