Thursday, November 24, 2022

Into the Black Hole

Into The Black Hole

   I’m in the black, I’m in the red,

It’s Friday and I shop til bed.

   The sales are big, or so they seem,

Is it real or just a scheme?


  If I add up all my savings

From my needed cravings,

  I’ll come out in the black and 

My budget will be on track.


  I need that hot air fryer

I’m such a prudent buyer.

  I saved thirty dollars there 

I can apply that to the chair.


  With the discount on that one

I can definitely outrun,

  My goal to save loads of money

And impress my frugal 'honey'.



Today is Black Friday and my e-mail box is overflowing with offers to save, save, save. Part of the stress of Christmas is money. I am saddened to hear the reports in the past of Christmas spending in the trillions. Will it be so this year? 

Something I have learned through experience is to make a budget and then have that money in my account to pay off the credit card within the month. That relieves the January blues but there is still the stress of giving to children and grandchildren. My grandchildren are almost all teenagers. Is it even possible to give them a meaningful gift?

And what about decorations and food?

My neighbor put free items out in front of their house during their move. Everyday I would look at a grapevine wreath, dusty and old. I finally took it home and made a fifty dollar wreath by cleaning the vines, re-decorating with greens and adding a tiny bit of bling, all for free.



I'm looking for more of those opportunities to make instead of buying. It isn't an easy endeavor and not always black and white. The gift may be thoughtful and kind but still under appreciated. Perhaps my rule should be to let go of the expectation once the gift is given. 

What money related goals do you have?



Click here to return to the Calm Christmas main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?