Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Day 2- The Lamb Of God

I crave feeling the innocence of  The Lamb of God. The clarity and purity of His being draw me to Him.   

   I am not innocent. I live with the knowledge of betraying myself and others. It may not be betrayal of country or spouse but I am not without sin. 
  The scriptures use animals as symbols. Oxen, sheep, lambs, and goats are mostly positive symbols and were considered clean according to the Law of Moses. The characteristics of these animals give us information. When John the Baptist called Jesus the Lamb of God, what was he telling me about Jesus?

"The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."
 John 1:29


   Lambs connote innocence, meekness, purity, patience, humility. They also suggest rebirth, sacrifice, and obedience. With this title we have much information of Jesus. John indicates that Jesus was God's lamb. This pure, white, lamb which had no blemish was reserved for sacrifice. It was God's gift to us to reconcile us to him. He was vital to the Plan of Redemption. If I were living in Old Testament times I would be carefully watching for the birth of such a lamb in my flock. He would have great value and seeing his perfectness I would be able to bring him to a sacrificial service. There I would witness his slaughter and know that his death brought restitution for my own sins and for the sins of my community. My Heavenly Father wants me to understand the feelings he has for his Son. In living the Law of Moses I would be acting his part and experiencing what it would be like to offer my best, innocent, beautiful lamb as a sacrifice. 
   We no longer offer sacrifice. The Lamb of God was the final sacrifice. All things in the Law of Moses pointed to Him. John the Baptist pointed to him and claimed that he, himself was just a voice crying in the wilderness, announcing the coming of the true Lamb of God.



             

      
There are 24 names of Christ that I would like to come to understand better. For 24 days I will explore one of his names everyday. Click hereto refer back to days past.





4 comments:

  1. This is a great reflection on what it means for Jesus to be the Lamb of God. The descriptions of the sacrifices in the Old Testament can be difficult but they mean so much more when you see them as pointing ahead to what Jesus would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just something so holy about the lamb of God. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. " I am not innocent. I live with the knowledge of betraying myself and others." Self-awareness is powerful. I can skip that part and move quickly to staring down someone else's sin. But when I sit in awareness of my sin--against myself and others, I am able to receive and to give forgiveness.

    It is because Jesus was the perfect Lamb of God that I can have a right relationship with Him. He was perfect and pure so that I can become perfected and pure in Him.

    Thank you for your reflective thoughts on the Lamb.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?