Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Day 9- Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring

Names of Christ- Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring

This 10th and last movement of the Bach cantata entitled "Heart and Voice and Deed and Life" was composed in 1716. The words written by a poet named Jahns came after. That Man should desire him is an amazing concept and that he would be our joy is a sublime idea. How many other things hold our thoughts and imagination? To wake each morning and have a thought for Him is my pursuit. 





I have noticed that the Holy Ghost does not wait for me to initiate the the thought of Jesus. The spirit draws me and it is my joy to follow. I don't want to leave the impression that I am too successful. Many mornings I wake with thoughts only of myself. However, the morning when He is my joy are the most nurturing. 

Jesu, joy of man's desiring,
Holy wisdom, love most bright;
Drawn by Thee, our soul's aspiring
Soar to uncreated light.

                


Here are twenty-four names of Christ and twenty-four days until Christmas. Check back here to find the contents page of this series.

6 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful piece! And I agree, it's not always easy to keep our focus on Jesus but the best place to find our joy is in him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad He initiates. And when I follow, life is as it should be.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?