Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Driving to Dallas


     Flat is the one adjective one can use to describe West Texas. Flat and yellowed-brown, there are fields of corn, grain, and to break up the monotony, grain elevators and storage silos. They do have beautiful brick houses, in the middle of their fields. The bricks are muti-colored and some stick out further than others, creating texture and depth.

   


    Heading south to the Ft. Worth-Dallas area to visit Mark's sister is a treat.  As we travel the landscape gets greener with more scrubby trees. I think we brought the rain with us as the day has been overcast and sprinkley. I feel the first sense of how much humidity is in the air.
  Reading our third book, Malcolm Gladwell's "The Outliers", today we discussed the 10,000 hour theory. It takes, generally, that long to become really good at a particular skill. And we discussed his idea that practical intelligence can be more important than I.Q. Children given examples of how to navigate through the world to get what they need have an advantage to those with innate intelligence.
   In the last hours before arriving at our destination it gets tense. Each afternoon we reach a big city and together we navigate through the freeways. I hate feeling lost and often wish to give up the role as guide.


Yeh, we made it! Thank heavens for GPS.
I love looking at different trees and plants in new surroundings. This is a new one to me, the Crepe Myrtle Tree.


The bark sheds and then is smooth and hard and beautiful to the touch.


The weather here is slightly cooler than normal and I am so glad. Thanks, family, for putting us up, or putting up with us.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I so know what you mean about West Texas!!! It actually gave me panic attacks when we had to drive through....no cell phone reception in case of emergencies!!! Aren't Crepe Myrtles the best tree ever!! They are practically in every yard here in Florida...and in many colors...they are absolutely beautiful..especially their bark. I have two mini chieftans in my butterfly garden. Enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?