Saturday, August 25, 2012

Farewell To Houston


         In Houston I became aware of the German influence. German settlers left their German language, food, and culture in Houston. Annette and Mickey work in the Klein School District. Each school in the district is referred to by name with the word Klein first. I joked that their district must be very small, the opposite being the case. At dinner we had great barbecued beef with equally terrific sausage of the German kind. 


  Grandpa was very aware and able to converse about every subject we chose. He favored the stories of his war experience and the story of meeting me when Mark and I first visited Texas. His version of the story of our first visit has an interview between us when he asked me if I loved his son. I do remember that. I answered yes and then he asked if Mark loved me. He says that I didn't know for sure but I was working on that. Then he advised me to trick him. I don't quite remember that comment, but I am sure he did not give me any help in how to trick him. This story is well set in Grandpa's mind because he told it three times while we were there. Grandpa has beautiful surroundings and I think his situation is stable. We felt very welcomed there and he told us how grateful he was that we came to him because he felt the need to see us for some time. He wished that he could make a visit to us, but that will not possible for him any longer.
  Annette's family has a great dog, Gus. He is very intelligent, doing many tricks and being so congenial. We enjoyed him at breakfast this morning. His bottom is very flat and so this allows him to sit with his front paws up, in a begging position, for a very long time. 

 

 As we travel Interstate 10 we are seeing the best of Texas. This is the land that Mexico fought to keep, lush green, farm land. We are heading to San Antonio and then on to the desert. 
   It is very comforting to see the familiar sky in each place we visit. The sky is the unifying symbol of  familiarity. I am at home if the sky is visible.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?