Friday, May 4, 2018

Adapt

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has ordained that you shall live.
 Marcus Aurelius


The pilings jutting out of the water are skeletons of a lost enterprise. A bustling dock welcomed little boats in the past but when other points of entry onto this island became more convenient the dock fell apart and the pilings remained behind.



The logs have adapted to become artistic sketches on the shore. I come to my looking place along this beach and photograph the pilings, draw them, and imagine how they looked when when a boat came alongside and anchored. 
I brought my children to this beach twenty-five years ago. We  walked along the shore and looked under rocks to find little crabs. Once we dammed up the tiny stream that ran into water and made replicas of rivers and deltas. I made my children empty their shoes, pockets, and seams of sand so that we didn't bring the beach home with us. Now my children are grown and I've adapted to taking grandchildren here or more often I come by myself. The pilings remind me to love the life that is mine today.



***************************************************
My novel Rubato

A murder mystery about a morally compromised woman’s resolve to protect her musical discovery. 



6 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by my blog this morning. I love your peaceful meditation on adapting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed really through some of your blog.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photo, and I love your conclusion about loving your life today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lesley. We all have to adapt to the now of living.

      Delete
  3. what lovely thoughts and memories for you and your children. And now your grandchildren as well.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?