Monday, May 28, 2018

A Picture From the Past (Umkehr)

Some memories are unforgettable, remaining ever vivid and heartwarming! 
Joseph B. Wirthlin

I love returning (Umkehr) to old pictures and being drawn to fashions from the past. Let's take the apron, as an example. Wearing an apron was common place in the 1950's. My mother used a wringer washer and we hung our clothes out on the clothesline. The next day we ironed the stiff dried clothing. It took two full days to get the weekly wash done.
Consequently wearing outfits more than once was essential. 


   Bring on the apron. Covering your blouse or dress with a pretty apron cut down on the ever growing laundry. I purchased a hand made, seer-sucker apron from Portland Apron Company to match the ones my aunt used to sew and I love it. It takes me back to times long gone. I loved spending my summers at the farm where my aunt and uncle raised goats and chickens. She always did her work with an apron over her clothing. She hid a treat or two in the deep pockets of her apron for the many children who loved her. I loved her smell, essence of goat and peppermint. She was round and squishy to hug, and she did love to give hugs. The picture above, shows her holding, not one, but two babies. With no children of her own all babies and children, in general, were cherished and valued. She modeled that love to me every time I was with her and I believe I am affectionate with children because of what she showed me.

   My One Little Word Umkehr inspires me to return often to pictures and memories of the past. A memory can bring umkehr and focus your decisions and aspirations.

********************************************

Click here to see a table of contents of how this word has become a focus in my life this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?