Sunday, October 23, 2022

No, Not One

Once when teaching a block of scripture from the Book of Psalms I had a questioning student ask why. 


Psalms 14:2 

​The ​​Lord​​ looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, ​and​ seek God.

​​​3 ​They are all gone aside, they are ​all​ together become ​​​filthy​: ​there is​ ​​​none​ that doeth good, no, not one.


His question centered on the point of why would God say that there were none of his children who were good. I didn't have time to explore the question in class but I kept pondering the discussion. To my surprise I found the same statement in every book of scripture.


Doctrine and Covenants 23: 4 

​And my ​​​vineyard​ has become ​​​corrupted​ every whit; and there is none which doeth ​​​good​ save it be a few; and they ​​​err​ in many instances because of ​​​priestcrafts​, all having corrupt minds.


Moroni 10:25 

And wo be unto the children of men if this be the case; for there shall be none that doeth good among you, no not one. For if there be one among you that doeth good, he shall work by the power and gifts of God.


My pondering brought me to asking the question in my mind during the sacrament on the next Sunday. "Am I good, Heavenly Father?"

The answer came as a thought, like a flash of light.


"It is not about you."



The reason why we can do good or be good is because of our Savior, Jesus Christ. We in ourselves, by ourselves, don't do good. The natural woman or man needs 'light' to see how to do good. Good comes through the power and gift of God. The Light of Christ is upon all the children of Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother. The more we heed the light, the more we want to do good. The Good Shepard does the most guiding in our minds. His spirit invites us to do good. 




I have never forgotten that teaching. 



Click here to go back to the 31 Days In October index.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?